If you want to consistently achieve excellence within all facets of your life while maintaining a balanced and satisfying lifestyle then I suggest you purchase Be Excellent at Anything: The Four Keys To Transforming the Way We Work and Live in which this summary is collaborated from!
Chapter 1 – More and More, Less and Less
The way we’re working isn’t working, in our own lives or for organisations. The relentless urgency that characterises most corporate cultures undermines thoughtful deliberation, creativity, engagement, and sustainable high performance.
- The primary value exchange between most employers and employees is time for money. It’s a think, one-dimensional transaction that leaves both sides feeling unsatisfied.
- Rather than trying to get more out of people, organisations are better served by investing more in them and meeting their multidimensional needs in order to fuel greater engagement and more sustainable high performance.
- Human being needs four sources of energy to operate at their best: physical (sustainability), emotional (security), mental (self-expression), and spiritual (significance).
- It’s not how much time we invest into our work that determines our productivity but rather the value we produce during the hours we work.
- We’re not meant to operate in the same way machines do: at high speeds, for long period of time, running multiple programs at the same time. Human beings are designed to pulse between the expenditure and the intermittent renewal of energy.